Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I'm an early bird!

Wahoo! Alarm went off at 5:22 this morning. I tossed around and tried really hard to make myself go back to sleep, but that nagging guilt monster in the back of my head got the best of me. So I got up.

It's so much easier in the summer, when it's actually light outside at that hour. Even though it's early and my body is groggy, it's easy to trick myself into thinking it's a normal hour. There's another added bonus: the trails are pretty empty so early in the morning. Our new house is about a mile jaunt from a lake, so I'm able to spend a little time on the road and then do the rest of my run around the lake/park trails. During the day, the paths are crowded. This morning, I shared the place with maybe 10 other people.

The real test will be if I can maintain this peppy, positive attitude when the alarm buzzes tomorrow morning ... even though I was proud of myself for getting out of bed, the run itself was pretty slow and painful. Hopefully I'll improve as I get used to this schedule.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Hey early bird! Be jealous of your training time and guard it religiously!! Starting off with a half marathon is a great idea. That will help you get a feel for what the 26.2 distance means to you. Adding a little grit and determination to that positive and peppy attitude will carry you far :-)

Jess said...

"Tried really hard to make myself go back to sleep": wish I had that issue. I have to try really hard to make myself get up. Good job on the willpower!