Overall grade: B-. I was expecting A-plus treatment and didn't really get it, but they were more helpful than the people at the store where I chose to buy my last pair of shoes. I only tried on about 5 pairs, and the guy just wasn't giving me much feedback, even when I asked questions. The girl sitting next to me, however, was trying on shoe after shoe after shoe, and her employee was giving her tons of feedback. This pissed me off, but I was determined to leave with a pair of shoes so I kept asking annoying questions and tried to squeeze as much out of him as possible.
I did a few spins on the treadmill with each pair and finally settled between a pair of Mizunos and a pair of Nikes. The Nikes were about $50 less expensive, so I asked if the extra money I would be forking over for the Mizunos was worth it. And - this is where he finally got helpful - he told me I may get a slightly longer life out of the Mizunos, but probably not enough to make a serious difference. So being the cheapy that I am, I went with Nike.
Here's a pic - except mine are red, not blue. But now that I see they make blue, I kind of want to go back tonight and see if I can exchange them for a pair like this.

I can't believe I bought a pair of Nikes - the last pair I owned, roughly 5 years ago, were crap and I swore I'd never buy them again. I also have some issues with their production methods and employee treatment, but that's something I know I can't entirely get away from in the shoe industry. I think New Balance is the only company that still actually makes shoes in America and probably actually pays their employees a normal wage, but I haven't had good luck running with N.B.
Anyway, the coolest part is that I'm pretty sure these shoes are equipped with a pocket for the iPod chip (something that would have been nice to know when purchasing the shoe - or when asking questions about my shoe. I didn't find this out till I got back and looked up shoe info online). I'd like to try this gadget out. It would have been helpful last night, for instance, when I ran a new route around the neighborhood. I figure it was probably 2 miles, but if I had my handy little chip, I'd know exactly how far I went.
Speaking of last night's run ... freaking HOT! I was a sweaty, buggy mess when I got home and I only did, as I said, around 2 miles. I tried something new, which, I think, will really help improve my endurance in the long run. I skipped the lake and ran around our neighborhood, using city blocks as measures. One block I'd jog, the next one (or two, sometimes) I'd sprint. The final sprint was uphill - and I'm talking uphill. I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest when I got to the top of that baby, but it felt good. Again, only 2 miles but it was an intense 2 miles, and that's what matters.
Lordy, this is a long post. Makes up for all the slacking I've been doing lately. See what new shoes do to me? I can't stop talking about running!! Too bad today must be a rest day. I feel like I could rock the streets of St. Paul tonight.
3 comments:
woo hoo! new kicks!!!! makes a world of difference. hope the shoes make you super fast!
Are those the structure triax? I love my Nikes, even with their practices. Most people have the idea that New Balance are made here, in fact I just had this discussion with someone, he pulled off his shoes "made in China" stamped on them...so maybe some of theirs are here, but most likely not.
That sucks about your experience as I'm guessing on where you might have been...initials MS and featured in RW? I've always had good experience there, but then after my first try, i've pretty much stuck to the shoes I run in and always buy them...but the people usually are very friendly, smart and helpful.
Danielle - thanks for the advice! Yes, you're right about the place but so far, they did their job OK. I have run in the Nikes 3 times and LOVE them.
Post a Comment