Miss Petite America had a very thought-provoking post today, so I’m stealing her idea. Well, I’m expanding on her idea – she made some great points so I’ve decided to help spread this notion that it’s OK to run and aim for a healthy lifestyle, but it’s OK to eat cake, too. Today, I’m standing up for cake!
I’ve had much of her same thoughts during the past few years. When I took up running last year, it was the first sport since high school that I pursued for fun and health, rather than to achieve some weight goal. Actually, I was pretty happy with my weight last year and I wasn’t looking to lose much of anything – I wanted to feel healthy, I wanted to have a goal, and if losing a few inches here or there was a fringe benefit of that mission, great.
I had come to the place I never thought I’d be: a place where I’m OK with how I look. I don’t like the chub that still floats over my mid-section, and I wish it didn’t roll in half when I sat down. I wish my legs didn’t rub together so much, and I would like to have Madonna-buff arms.
BUT - I also love good company, good food and good drinks. And to me, life is about balance. A life without all of the above is not a life worth living, if you ask me. The thing is, to have all of the above, I can’t aim for 100% on everything. If having a little bit of an inner tube around my tummy means I still get to enjoy a beer or a burger when I feel like it, then so be it.
The challenge is reminding myself of all of this. I try not to let food consume all of my thoughts, just as I try not to allow running/exercise consume all my energy. But I'm human, and evil thoughts on both ends sneak in once in a while.
Case in point: I got whistled at while running the other night and immediately assumed they were being sarcastic, making fun of me - my legs were rubbing together so much at that point that my shorts were riding up to the point of being invisible. (trust me, this is not whistle-material for anyone!) Then I thought of the alternative: I could give up all that's good in life to have thighs that don't rub. Or, I accept my short-wedgie problem, keep running my scheduled miles, and focus on the good stuff at the end of the day.
Short-wedgies it is! Cake it is! And, surprisingly, I'm OK with that.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
chica, you said it better than i did!
shorts-wedgies is the exact reason i am a running skirt convert. you get to run in practically your undies and no one sees "the mess"
Well written post! I hate short wedgies!
"I don’t like the chub that still floats over my mid-section, and I wish it didn’t roll in half when I sat down." --- I thought I was the only runner that dealt with this! I was sitting out yesterday in my bikini trying to get some rays, and had to almost lay back to keep my belly from cutting into two rolls! How frustrating!
Here, here! I'll eat a slice to that!
Post a Comment